caseyreads

Pastel 15
Toshihiko Kobayashi
The Dog Stars
Peter Heller
Fat Chance: Beating the Odds Against Sugar, Processed Food, Obesity, and Disease - Robert H. Lustig A refreshing perspective to the thousands of diet and health books that are pervading the market. Lustig focuses on the ills of sugar, specifically fructose, and its devastating impact on our bodies. If there is one thing to take away from this book, it is to eat less sugar, and if you are going to eat some, pair it with something high-fiber.

I was surprised by how loaded juice is with sugar. No wonder a carton of orange juice disappears so quickly! He does mention "food deserts" in poor income areas, a topic I have heard frequently about. Access to healthy food is more limited than you think, when you are surrounded by over-priced Whole Foods on every corner. Additionally, when everything on sale at the store is in the frozen aisle, how can you justify spending money on fresh produce when you only have a limited income on food?

I liked how he got into the psychology and chemistry of addiction, and how sugar fits into the same model as alcohol and drugs. Although seemingly far-fetched, it all comes down to reward!