caseyreads

Pastel 15
Toshihiko Kobayashi
The Dog Stars
Peter Heller
The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity - Wm. Paul Young, Brad Cummings, Wayne Jacobsen If you just want to read this book because it is a bestseller, you will be sorely disappointed. If you want to read this book because you are religious and want to read something comforting, it can surely do that. But don't expect any intelligent argument or masterful prose.

I got this book because I ran into CVS needing something to read, and I really didn't want to read a romance or a James Patterson novel. I briefly skimmed over the back, assuming it was decent if it was a bestseller. Man, was I ever wrong.

Unfortunately, it is very poorly written. I didn't realize it was a fiction story until about one hundred pages in - at that point I felt it was too ridiculous and googled some info about The Shack. After finishing this book, I wouldn't be surprised if the author had written this in less than two weeks. All of the conversations are sappy, trivial, and juvenile. I don't mind reading religious books, as long as they can put forth some interesting logic and explanation...but this?

Sure, love can be the explanation. But why do the characters have to be so sterotypical? "Papa" a.k.a. the Father is a cheerful, black woman who enjoys cooking - like a mammy, Aunt Jemima type (but turns back into a white man because it's more comfortable that way). And Jesus is ugly because he has a Jewish nose? And "Sarayu" a.k.a. the Holy Spirit is the most difficult to understand and bond with...and she's a tough Asian woman?

The beginning of the book was okay. It's been done before by more talented and more popular authors. The main character, Mack, appeared to have a bit of personality in the beginning, and then turned into something like a 1950s television sitcom schoolboy. I kept waiting for him to say, "Gee wiz, Jesus, you sure are a swell guy" and so forth. I really couldn't wait for this to end.

Don't waste your money. If you're still interested, go to the library.