caseyreads

Pastel 15
Toshihiko Kobayashi
The Dog Stars
Peter Heller
Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card Very easy to read book, I breezed through this in a couple of days. The ending wasn't as cheezy as I thought it was going to be, although it was a little too happy sunshine for me.

The battle scenes were really confusing to me. Considering they take up so much of the plot, most of the time I was attempting to recreate the scene in my head, only to give up and trudge though. Because of that, I thought the time spent at Battle School was way too long. It got too repetitious.

I enjoyed the subplot with Valentine and Peter. I was hoping it would have been elaborated more, but then it just all folded nicely and neatly together. The politics in the background were confusing and could have benefited from more explanation, which would only have helped the book even more.

Because I was never a gifted boy, and I am no longer young, I had some trouble connecting to Ender, and I couldn't help but keep pitying him. The rest of the boys (and Petra) I couldn't care less for. I did have a difficult time conceptualizing how young everyone was, even though they were geniuses.

However, I still give this book 4 stars because I enjoyed it, and I wasn't expecting a lot out of it, and I was pleasantly surprised. I thought the purpose of the Battle School and what happened later to be an excellent plot twist, and it wrapped itself up neatly.