caseyreads

Pastel 15
Toshihiko Kobayashi
The Dog Stars
Peter Heller
Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness - Susannah Cahalan This book is a great page-turner, and I finished it in two sittings. It is really amazing that Cahalan was able to piece together much of what happened to her afterwards, considering she had little recollection of what happened.

The book brings up the point that medicine doesn't always have the right or correct answers. Tests and diagnostic procedures can't catch everything, it is important to always get multiple opinions. One doctor can't know everything about the medical field. What was intriguing about Cahalan's case was that her symptoms presented like a psychosis, and because of that, it was difficult for the doctors to see beyond the symptoms.

I liked how Cahalan incorporated the scientifc terminology into the story, without overburdening it. I really felt connected to her throughout the story because she writes about herself during her worst times, which I am sure must have been confusing and shameful for her afterwards. I never felt like she was editing out the worst - she really puts everything out there.

A great read for someone who is interested in medical case studies, or someone who like a medical mystery with a positive ending.