caseyreads

Pastel 15
Toshihiko Kobayashi
The Dog Stars
Peter Heller
On Basilisk Station - David Weber On Basilisk Station is a slow journey to a gripping finish. The ending of the story had me on the edge of my seat. However, the exposition was quite tedious.

Honor never makes one mistake. Even if she does make a mistake, it's a small mistake that is overshadowed by resounding victory. She is a rather one-dimensional character.

I was surprised by how little emotional reaction she had to Young - someone who attempted to rape her and she subsequently beat the crap out of - other than hyperfocusing on how she would carry out her duties properly with limited resources. She did have a little anger, but it poofs away rapidly. Very emotionally distant.

At the close of the novel, although she has about two sentences of regret for her dead crew, the pride and commemoration she has received makes it all worthwhile.

I realize that Weber isn't trying to make her all evil and cold and calculating. He doesn't take the time to explain Honor's backstory or give her any emotional torment. We don't know anything about her besides a few short snippets. She might as well be a well-mannered robot. Except for the one time she tells Hauptman off, which I really enjoyed, because it showed something of her personality.

I wondered why Honor was SO sure Hauptman had not been involved in any illegal activities, although his ships were brimming full of contraband. This was never explained.

There is a lot of assuming going on by Honor as to the mystery of what is happening. All of the assumptions turn out to be true. In this way, the exposition really drags on because Weber tells you everything possible that you need to know. Not much left to the imagination.

Weber is extremely detailed with science and military spaceships. Although I kind of glossed over it, I appreciate the time and effort he took in the description, even if sometimes the description popped up in the middle of nowhere.

For being terrible at math, Honor is really good at calculating times in her head.

The ending battle was really awesome, and it bumped the story up a star for me. I was never able to keep track of the secondary characters besides McKeon and therefore not invested/interested in them at all.

I suppose if you like military sci-fi you will get a lot of interesting description and battle scenes. However, the story is actually a very small one, in the corner of the universe. I guess a girl has to start somewhere.

Lastly, the treecat has barely any presence in the book, which I was surprised about. No plot points for Nimitz, even if they would be cheesy.