caseyreads

Pastel 15
Toshihiko Kobayashi
The Dog Stars
Peter Heller
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? - Philip K. Dick, Robert Zelazny I liked that the story it is not a 'who-dun-it' mystery. In fact, there isn't much to figure out at all. Deckard has everything planned out and it is just a matter of him getting from point A to B to accomplish it.

This is a story that is focused more on philosophical questions regarding artificial intelligence, specifically on empathy. Society is hyper-focused on empathy. Some years in the past, owning an animal was a legal necessity, to show you were empathetic. Although now no longer a mandated law, people still acquire animals, and if you can get a real one...then that is the real measure of your worth. Not just your ordinary cats and dogs, but horses and sheep and ostriches...all living up on the roof of your building! I found it quite interesting that the purpose of owning an animal was twisted over time to be a representation of power and ego, which originally it was not intended for that purpose. A great reflection on society in my opinion.

It's very different from the movie, Blade Runner. Although some of the characters are kept the same, there are big differences in plot. Although the story is still set in a dystopian future, it's not as pronounced as the movie.

Not all of the questions will be answered at the end. I prefer that kind of novel, I would like to think for myself about the possibilities.