caseyreads

Pastel 15
Toshihiko Kobayashi
The Dog Stars
Peter Heller
Blindness - José Saramago, Giovanni Pontiero It did take me some time to get used to the writing style - I had even considered putting the book down after the first few pages because it annoyed me...but I continued through and it ceased to even be a minor problem, as I got swept up in Saramago's masterful storytelling. I didn't mind that it wasn't always clear who was speaking or what was happening. I could feel what was happening through Saramago's words. I didn't need to know everything.

I appreciate the details he put into this book. He must have spent hours analyzing how each situation could be. I wonder if he closed his eyes and attempted to get around as if he was blind?

I thought there would be strong Christian overtones (which I don't particularly like), but they were quite subtle. The book wasn't preachy and that is why I enjoyed it. What could have been complicated was broken down day by day, hour by hour, instance by instance, in a simple way. The beauty of human reaction and adaption can be found in this book - however horrifying the maladaption of humans in general. I now have spent time thinking what I would have done if I was in this story, and it probably would have been just like everything described.