caseyreads

Pastel 15
Toshihiko Kobayashi
The Dog Stars
Peter Heller
The Demolished Man - Alfred Bester It wasn't until near the end that I truly realized the heaviness of Freudian influence in the Demolished Man.

The relationship between Barbara and Powell during Deja Eprouve. As she says to Reich: "When I grow up I'm going to marry Papa and be his girl for always." Which is an extremely creepy scene considering that she is in fact a grown woman thinking she is a young child. I imagined Reich's eyebrows furrowing together and mouth dropping open. And I got some pleasure out him him yelling and shaking her because it was super creepy.

The constant references to id, ego, and superego. Powell believes it was Reich's superego, aka conscience and want to be good and moral, that led him to want to turn himself in.

Reich killed his father, without knowing it (the id taking over), creating an Oedipal like plot. At least wasn't a mother figure involved, which would have made the story more strange, and more obviously Freudian.

The women in the story as so obviously female and demanding saving. That's a product of the times for sure. And the Demolished Man reads like pulp, noir fiction, and brainless female characters are a dime a dozen in those tales. It was written in the 1950s, so I give Bester a pass on this.

The true meaning of demolishing at the end surprised me. It is a kind of execution to the individual anyway. Just recycling their mind. I wonder what happens after someone has been demolished? Do they keep the skills, just not the memories?

Overall, I think the Demolished Man holds up well for the time it was written. It reads really easy and smooth, the action continually pumping, and the characters clashing.

I enjoyed that the story was not a who-dun-it, but a why-dun-it.

Which leads me to another question: How did Mose (super cop computer) decide it was a crime of passion based on the facts? That humans couldn't uncover the emotions behind it, but a computer could? Thought that was a bit strange.